How To Request Public Records In North Carolina

You have several options for requesting a Judicial Branch document, depending on the record type. You can make a request online, via mail, or in person.

You can also request public records in North Carolina in the following areas:

  • Criminal Cases
  • Civil cases, estates, and special proceedings
  • Divorce judgements
  • Birth, marriage, divorce, or death certificates
  • You can contact the N.C. Register of Deeds or your county register. Vital Records
  • Marriage license
  • Reports of police reports
  • Real estate records or deeds
  • View more information about media members.

The Register of Deeds maintains records of powers of attorney. Find contact information for the Register Of Deeds office.

Prisoner Records – The N.C. website provides information on people who were or are currently incarcerated within the N.C. system. The Department of Adult Correction searches for offenders. This includes inmates of state prisons, probationers, and parolees.

Other Public Records Requests

Judicial Branch Public Records Form Please complete this form to request a copy of an existing public record. Please be aware that state employees and agencies are not required by law to create a record or compilation of a record that does not already exist. G.S. 132-6.2. View: